Coronavirus (COVID-19) Preparedness Information Learn More
Aquatherapy or pool therapy consists of an exercise program that is performed in the water. It is a beneficial form of therapy that is useful for a variety of medical conditions. Aquatherapy uses the physical properties of water to assist in patient healing and exercise performance. One unique benefit of aquatic therapy is the buoyancy provided by the water. While submerged in water, buoyancy assists in supporting the weight of the patient. This decreases the amount of weight bearing which reduces the force of stress placed on the joints. This aspect of aquatic therapy is especially useful for patients with arthritis, healing fractured bones, or other problems. By decreasing the amount of joint stress it is easier and less painful to perform exercises.
In partnership with Negaunee Public Schools, we will be offering aquatherapy to patients who would benefit from a non impact, supportive environment. Patients that would most benefit from Aquatherapy include those with:
- Severe arthritis
- Chronic pain
- Pregnancy and postpartum back pain
- Neurological disorders such as Multiple Sclerosis
- Pre- and Post operative patients
- Anyone having difficulty performing regular land based therapy
What does aqua do?
- Eliminates most of the effects of gravity, providing a supportive environment reducing impact on the joints and muscles.
- Provides resistance in all directions allowing for strengthening and endurance training in a natural and adjustable environment.
- Hydrostatic pressure allows for improved circulation and greater cardiac efficiency in deep water.
For more information or to make an appointment, please call (906) 485-2261.
- Breast Center
- Childbirth Education
- Emergency Services
- Express Care (Walk-In Clinic)
- Family Medicine
- Heart & Vascular
- Imaging Services
- Occupational Medicine
- Sleep Diagnostics
- Swing Bed Care
- Women’s Health
- Other Services
- Digestive Health & Liver