Helping you through your day one activity at a time
Why come to pulmonary rehab?
To improve the quality of your life. To eventually be able to participate with your family and friends in activities.
How can I come to pulmonary rehab?
Talk to your doctor. All you need is a referral to the Pulmonary Rehab Program and the Respiratory staff will set you up for an evaluation.
What is pulmonary rehab?
- Pulmonary rehab is an exercise class that helps you maximize the lung function that you have to help you get through your day with less breathlessness and fatigue.
- It will teach you about your lung condition so you understand why you get short of breath, how to avoid those situations if at all possible and how to cope with your breathlessness should you experience it.
- Discussions will take place about your medications, why you take them, how to correctly take them and when you should take them.
- Pulmonary rehab is a twenty four session class – covered by Medicare if you qualify – that will start you on the path of a much more productive and enjoyable life.
- Pulmonary Rehab is staffed by a Respiratory Therapist and an Exercise Specialist.
Life is for living – not for sitting and observing!!!
Who is pulmonary rehab for?
Pulmonary Rehab is for patients with breathing conditions that limit their activities. Conditions such as Emphysema, COPD, Asthma, Pulmonary Fibrosis, Sarcoidosis, Bronchiectasis, Cystic Fibrosis and more.
It is for patients who are starting to realize that they are unable to do some or many of the things in life that they used to really enjoy. Frequently they feel limited because at some point they became quite breathless doing something and they fear becoming that breathless again. The rehab staff will monitor them while they are exercising. They will help the patient gradually increase their exercise tolerance and teach the patient breathing techniques to avoid or cope with breathlessness.
Most participants are very happy and surprised at what they can actually do after just a month of class! Very often patients will tell the staff that they never thought they could ever exercise again. Okay – so you can’t run a marathon, but you can go to that outing with your family and friends and enjoy it!
When does pulmonary rehab meet?
Pulmonary rehab meets Tuesday and Thursday afternoons from 1 – 2PM. It meets in the Medical Fitness Gym at Bell Hospital.
There are two types of Pulmonary Rehab classes:
- Acute – the initial phase that is twenty four sessions long – the starting point. If you qualify, Medicare and other insurances may pay for it – excluding your usual copay.
- Maintenance – the second phase that will last as long as you want it to. You can keep coming to class for as long as you want – it is self pay. You may at that point choose which day and time that you come to class.